Week of the Young Child April 10–16, Healthy Habits Week April 17–22 at Madison Children’s Museum.
April is bringing more than just rainy weather our way! Madison Children’s Museum is offering a variety of programming during two weeklong events, Week of the Young Child (April 10–16) and Healthy Habits Week (April 17–22). All of the activities that are part of these events are free with paid museum admission (free for members).
Week of the Young Child was started by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). The week is devoted to focusing our attention to the needs of young children and their families. It has been celebrated nationally since 1971 and includes recognition of early childhood programs and services, such as those offered by Madison Children’s Museum.
This year’s theme for Week of the Young Child is “Early Years Are Learning Years.” The museum has activities to celebrate each day!
• Monday, April 11, 10–11 am – Little Pioneers, early childhood pioneer activities at the Log Cabin
• Tuesday, April 12, 4–5 pm – Storytime and Activities With Project Grow
• Wednesday, April 13, all day – Paper Bag Luminaries in the Art Studio
• Thursday, April 14, 6–8 pm – Join MCM, Wisconsin Early Childhood Association (WECA), Dane County Association for the Education of Young Children (DCAEYC), and Launch into Literacy for an Open House for Early Childhood Professionals, with special guest speaker Joyce Hemphill speaking on “Take Time to Play: The Multiple Benefits of Playful Activities” from 6:30–7:30 pm
• Friday, April 15, 10:30–11:30 am – Bubble Science Program, in the rooftop Clubhouse
• Saturday, April 16, 11 am–3 pm – Family Farm Day (with special animal guests presented by the Dane County Farm Bureau!)
The fun won’t end on the 16th, though! Healthy Habits Week, during Madison Metropolitan School District’s spring break, is Sunday, April 17 – Friday, April 22. Enjoy health-focused activities for all ages, including daily activities by Dean and St. Mary’s, which is supporting the week of events. Here is the schedule.
• Sunday, April 17, noon–3 pm – Bike Helmet Safety presented by the Dean Foundation
• Monday, April 18, 10–10:30 am – Family Yoga
• Tuesday, April 19 – 1–2 pm, Healthy Food Cooking Demo; 10 am–3 pm, Happy Hearts presented by St. Mary’s
• Wednesday, April 20 – 10 am–noon, Pioneer Fitness; 10 am–noon, Yoga Demonstration; 3–4:30 pm, Natural Egg Dyes
• Thursday, April 21 – 10:30–11 am, Banana Lady; 1–2 pm, Healthy Cooking Food Demo; 5:30-7:30 pm, Pioneer Medicine & Home Remedies (part of Retro Technology Night)
• Friday, April 22 – 3–4:30 pm, Natural Egg Dyes; and 10 am–3 pm, Bike Donation Drive for Dream Bikes. Dream Bikes is a nonprofit organization that hires teens from troubled neighborhoods to fix up refurbishable bicycles, then sells the bikes in order to keep providing opportunities for under-privileged kids. Visit dream-bikes.org for more information.
Please visit MadisonChildrensMuseum.org for details on Week of the Young Child and Healthy Habits Week events.